I’ve been getting a lot of questions about the type of workouts I do so I thought I’d share my full workout plan and explain the workout I did tonight in detail.
For the 90-day challenge I’m planning to do the following:
Weeks 1-4: 6 workouks a week
- 3-4 metabolic strength and conditioning classes with my friends over at Element Athletic
- 2-3 strength/body building workouts
So far this week has looked like:
- Sunday: Upper body workout
- Monday: off
- Tuesday: EA class
- Wednesday: EA class
- Thursday: EA class
- Friday: Lower body workout
- Saturday: EA class
After a month of this routine, I will assess how my body is reacting and decide if I want to mix up my routine more (I may add a few swims a week) or just keep my workouts varible.
To give you an idea of the type of kickass workouts we do at Element, they look something like this.
Crazy, right? I know – and I freaking love it!
Last night however I went to the gym and cracked out a lower body workout. When focusing on the lower body, I make sure to do exersices that target the five main lower body muscle groups: glutes, calves, hamstrings, adductors and quads. I also throw in abs during or at the end!
Ttonight’s workout looked a little something like this:
- Leg presses (glutes, quads) – 4 sets
- 2 x 12 at 180 lbs
- 2 x 12 at 230 lbs
- Superset: Stiff-legged deadlift (hamstrings) + double handed swings (all lower body muscle groups) – 4 sets
- Instead of a barbell I used two 20kg KBs
- Supersets are when do one exercise, followed immediately by a second exercies
- Superset: Calf raises (calves) + lying leg raises (abs) – 3 sets
- I used 2 x 20 kg KBs instead of a bar
- Double kettlebell front squats (glutes, quads) – 4 sets
- 2 x 20 kg KBs
- 5-7 reps per set
- Backward and forward alternating lunges (quads) – 4 sets
- 12 backward reps with one 20 kg KB racked on my right side – then the same on the left
- 12 forward reps with KB bottoms up x 2
I finished off with 2 rounds of:
It felt good and since I haven’t done a weight training lower body workout in awhile, and as predicted, I’m a little sore this morning. Which is wicked :)
I plan to share more workouts as this challenge progresses, please let me know if you have any questions about the above workout!