I had originally planned for this to be my Monday morning workout – which involved getting up at 4:30am, heading to the gym and doing some running HIIT intervals and a lower body weight set – but I hit snooze and slept until 6am, missing the gym opportunity all together!
I know my body needed the sleep (I couldn’t get to sleep last night until really late) – so it was probably good that I slept in. Now, I’ have lots of time to workout and instead of going to the gym where I know it’ll be packedddd (let’s face it, it’s the second week of January, the gym is always packed with people feeling guilty for over indulging over the holiday break!) – I’m going to work out in my garage gym.
I know you’re probably thinking wow, you have your own space to work out – why would you ever go to a crowded gym?! Answer: Because it’s COLD out there and I’m a whimp!
To counter the freezing cold I’m going to start my workout with:
- (1 minute of skipping + 12 heavy kettlebell swings) x 6 rounds
- Typical kettlebell warmup of: 15 windmills each side + (10 push presses right then left + 10 snatches right then left) x 2
Main workout: 6 exercises x 3 rounds
Set your interval timer for 20 seconds rest/40 seconds work for a total of 18 consecutive intervals. I wanted to focus on lower body so I chose the follow exercises:
- Heavy kettlebell squats (2 x 14kgs)
- Alternating reverse lunges (14kg)
- Alternating kettlebell swings (14kg)
- Single-legged deadlift right (2 x 14kgs)
- Single-legged deadlift left (2 x 14kgs)
- Burpees (with high jump)
I’m also not afraid to sweat – that’s how I know it’s working :)
As my muscles were shaking I came in the warm house and made myself a protein shake to recover: protein, spinach, blueberry, banana + almond milk! Delicious!
What did you do to sweat today?